9/17/13

Elf Disney Villains 2013 Collection: First Impression and Swatches!

If you've been reading my blog for a while then you might remember my excitement about the E.L.F. Villainous Villains Limited edition collection of products from last year. Well, they're back, baby, and better than ever. This year, E.L.F. has come out with FOUR villain look books (last year only three villains were featured- Maleficent, Cruella and The Wicked Queen. This year they added Ursula into the mix) as well as a collection of mini nail polishes. These products are all exclusive to walgreens. Last year, these were incredibly difficult for me to find. I searched high and low, went to about five different walgreens and finally had a very kind saleslady hold them for me until my husband could get down there, and he bought the very last ones! This year, I had zero trouble finding these babies! I walked into my local walgreens and spotted them as soon as I walked through the automatic doors!

 The look books were on display along with the nail polishes from Ellf, as well as other dsney villains themed products including false lashes from ardell, some hair things and some makeup bags. Let me tell you, I LOVE the disney villains, and it was so hard not to put one of everything in my cart!

But, I didn't. I pushed away the urge to buy everything and walked out with just one of the Disney Villains Look Books. I chose Ursula, since there wasn't a book available for her last year. And because I am a sucker for purple eyeshadows!

Elf Disney Villains Ursula Look Book

Isn't it just gorgeous! These books are quite a bit bigger than the ones from last year and feature white packaging with a gorgeous watercolor style image of the villain, in this case, Ursula. The packaging on this is so pretty and stylized. I love it! The book opens up in a sort of french door style (I am blanking on how else to describe it) and on either side of the products, there are written instructions on how to create both a day look, and a night look. These tutorials aren't as in-depth as the ones from the books last year, but useful nonetheless. I will be doing a separate post later on the looks that can be created, so be on the lookout for that!



Each of the look books comes with 1 eyelid primer, 6 eyeshadows, 1 brightening eyeliner, 1 liquid eyeliner, 1 mascara, 1 lip color ans 1 eyeshadow brush. Unlike last year's books, where the products were built in and couldn't be removed, these are all individual products that can be removed, which makes application super easy. Let's go over each of the products included in this book and look at them a little closer!

Elf Lengthening and Defining Mascara in black- This is the mascara from Elf's essential line. It can be purchased from their website for $1. I have never actually used this mascara before, so I am interesting in trying it out. The wand on this mascara is a regular bristle wand, not a rubberized one. Normally I prefer the rubberized wands, but we shall see. The head of this wand is also a bit smaller than some of the other wands I have tried previously, so that should be helpful in really getting in close to the lashline. I will have a full review on this mascara in an upcoming post.

Elf Brightening Eyeliner in Black- This is the eyeliner from Elf's essential line. It can be purchased from Elf's website for $1. That's for the full size. This is a mini travel size pencil. This isn't the blackest eyeliner ever, but it's nice and soft and easy to use. You can smudge it easily which makes it nice.

Elf Liquid Eyeliner in Midnight- I really like Elf's liquid eyeliner. This is from Elfs essential line as well and can also be purchased from their website for one dollar. I find that elf's liquid liners are easy to apply (well, as easy as liquid eyeliner is to apply) and dries relatively quickly, and lasts for quite a while! I don't find that it flakes on me, though I have heard that complaint from others. Still, it's a nice addition to the set.

Liquid liner in midnight, brightening eye liner in black


Elf Eyelid Primer- this is one of my holy grail products from Elf. It's just $1 from their essential line and it works just as well as higher end primers, on me. I find that it really helps to make colored eye shadows pop, which makes it a perfect addition to this colorful collection.

Elf professional eyeshadow brush- This is another one of my holy grail items from elf. This brush is fantastic, especially for it's price tag, which is $1 on Elf's website. It's a flat shader brush that is perfect for laying down color. I highly recommend this, and I am so excited to have an extra!

Elf Lip Color- This is an absolutely beautiful opaque lip cream. The one in the Ursula look book is a gorgeous mid-toned pink that isn't too muted or too bright. I found this lip color to be incredibly pigmented, long lasting (for a gloss) and very glossy. I love this!

Ursula Lip Color





 The eye shadows that are included in the Ursula Look Book are:

Coral- a shimmery pale lavender shade
Sea witch- a bright, matte fuchsia purple shade
Shell- a gorgeous green with a satin finish
Kiss the Girl- a super pigmented midtoned brown
Triton- a brighter mid-toned purple with a matte finish
Bewitched- a matte charcoal gray

Sometimes Elf's eyeshadows can be quite hit or miss, but I found, overall, the quality of these eyeshadows to be quite good! You can see, below, the swatches which are done on bare skin. I am certain that with an eye primer, these would really pop and be gorgeous! I apologize for my photos, which are looking quite washed out, but you can get an idea on pigmentation here. And just look at that gorgeous brown shade, called Kiss the girl.

Coral, Sea Witch, Shell
Kiss the Girl, Triton, bewitched


So there ya have it. That's the Ursula look book. I was so pleased to be able ti find this and add it to my collection of books from last year!

But wait! There's more!

My amazing husband got me a present. I was more than happy with my ursula book, so he got me my next favorite Disney Villain! Maleficent!!

Elf Disney Villains Maleficent Look Book

This book comes with all the same products as the Ursula one. Only differences are, the eye shadows and the lip color.



The Maleficent Look book comes with these eye shadows:

Flora- a cream color
Fauna- a sort of khaki color with a gorgeous sheen
Spell- a gorgeous shimmery green
Deep Sleep- a silvery light green shade
Thorns- a dark ruddy brown
Raven Black- a matte black

You can see in the photo below some are more pigmented than others and the black is a bit chalky but these can all be worked with!
Flora, Fauna, Spell
Deep Sleep, Thorns, Raven Black 

And the Maleficent Lip Color is this gorgeous red:

Maleficent Lip Color


Overall I think, of the look books I have tried, this is a great collection! Heck, just the novelty alone makes this worth the $9.99 price tag to me, and the products are all product I will use!! I am going to try very hard to contain myself and not buy the other products in this collection, but its so hard!! Which Disney villain is your favorite? I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment on this post, or else use the contact card below to get in touch!! Thanks for stopping by, guys, and be on the lookout for posts on the looks I plan to create with these sets!


1 comment:

LauraJHyatt said...

I've never tired anything by elf, but I have heard great things. Loved your review, very honest, might have to go see for myself now :) x
Heroine In Heels

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews