5/4/12

Brush Care 101

I asked on the Budget Beauty Facebook Page (like if you haven't already done so!) if anyone would be interested in seeing a post on how I wash my make up brushes. The post got a couple of likes, so here's the post! I was going to do a video, but I found that taking video in my small bathroom (where I wash my brushes) just wouldn't work. So, unfortunately I do not have a video for you. I do have pictures and tips on how to wash and care for your brushes though, so hopefully this will be helpful to some of you!


Deep Cleaning

I start out with a dirty brush


The most important thing to remember about washing brushes is to make sure that you don't allow any water to get into the ferrule of the brush. You know, the metal part that binds the bristles of the brush to the handle. This is important, because if you get water inside of the ferrule it can dissolve the glue and cause the head of the brush to come off of the handle. Like this.



So take your brush and wet it. Make sure when holding it under the stream of water that you hold it bristle side down, and again, be careful not to get water into the ferrule.



After you have thoroughly wet the bristles, take your favorite brush shampoo and put a bit into your hand. They make special brush shampoo that you can buy, but any gentle cleanser will work. I use baby shampoo. It's very inexpensive and does the job just fine!



Now take your brush and rub the bristles into the shampoo. Really work the bristles into the shampoo and work up a good lather.



Then rinse the brush by holding it under the running water, and squeezing it gently with your fingers. until all of the soap is rinsed out and the water runs clear. (I didn't get a picture of this set because I had my hands full, and they were wet! haha)

Once the brush is rinsed thoroughly, gently squeeze out the water, and reshape the brush bristles with a clean hand. Then lay the brush out to dry.



When laying my brushes out to dry, I like to put them on a slight angle, so that the handle is higher than the brush head. That way, any water that runs out of the bristles will move down, away from the ferrule again avoiding water damaging the brush.

So there ya have it. That's how I deep clean my brushes. I do this about once every 2 weeks, or as needed.

Spot Cleaning

Between deep cleanings I use Elf's daily brush cleansr on my brushes. It's a spray that helps keep brushes disinfected and clean between washes. I just spray some onto a clean cloth and wipe the brush with it. It helps keep things sanitary and fresh!



Brush Storage
Because I use my brushes on a daily basis and spot clean them regularly, I store them in a cup on my vanity with the brush heads up. This allows me to easily access them. They are always within reach and easy to see.



If you do not use your brushes on a regular basis then this is probably not the best way to store your brushes, because being stored this way exposes them to dust and bacteria. If you only use your make up brushes every so often, I suggest storing your brushes someplace safe from dust. Whether it be a drawer, or a box, or a case. I store some of the brushes I don't use quite so often in a brush case that zips closed. This case came with my 11 piece studio brush set from elf, but you can buy ones similar just about anywhere make up brushes are sold. This is also a great way to travel with your make up brushes.





Another option is a brush roll. This is great to carry a large quantity of brushes, and again, keeps your brushes protected from dust and other elements.






There ya have it! My quick guide to taking care of your make up brushes! If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to leave me a comment below! I love hearing from you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the course in cleaning! :) I used the e.l.f. daily brush cleaner as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews