6/3/13

May 2013 Polish Picks!

I know in my last blog I talked about how I was going to try to bring more non-related polish posts here, and I swear, that is the intent. If you are looking for more than just polish content, and are impatient with the slow pace of this blog (I am sorry I swear it will get better) you can always check out my youtube channel. I try to post three videos a week. Generally on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and there's a wide variety of topics covered there. You can find it here! 

Now that that little disclaimer is out of the way, it's time to share with you all my polish picks for May. These are all the manis I wore in May, and there are a ton of polishes to get through, so let's just jump right into it!

The first mani that I am going to share with you all is a bright bubblegum pink polish from the wet n wild megalast line of polishes. I have raved to you guys on and on about this brand in the past, so I will spare you the details of how much I adore the brush and formula, and simply state that this pretty pink is another home run from the line. It's a nice cream formula that glides on like a dream. And for a bit of sparkle, I added a coat of a shades of the season polish. It's a pink and holographic glitter top coat that you can't really see much in the picture, but it made for a gorgeous mani! Not the easiest to remove, but with the foil method, it didn't give me much trouble!


One of my goals for the month of May was to try out some of the polishes that have been sitting on my shelf for a while that I hadn't used yet. This is one of those polishes. It's a pretty sage green with a sort of metallic shift to it, and it's Sage in the City from the Wet n Wild Fast Dry line. I don't like the fast dry polishes quite as much as the megalast polishes from wet n wild, but they are still pretty good. They do dry relatively fast, and they seem to all be named for television shows, which is fun. This sage green was very pretty, though I am not sure it really suits my skin tone. It was definitely something different than what I usually wear, and I am sure that it will get a lot of use in the future, maybe as nail art, or just an accent nail, since it's not the best color ever on me. The formula was very nice, and applied easily so that's a big plus!

I apologize for the very bad quality photo above. I took this photo immediately after polishing before I cleaned up the edges and before I even put on a top coat. I wanted you guys to be able to see how shiny this polish was all on it's own. And the color is amazing! This is Through the grapevine by wet n wild from their megalast collection. It's a gorgeous grape purple that I was instantly drawn to when I Saw it in the store. This applied beautifully, was opaque in one coat, and the color is just beautiful. One of my favorite polishes from my ever growing collection of wet n wild megalast polishes!

This brings us to mid month when I got my ipsy glam bag for May. Inside was this little beauty. This is Zoya's Blu from their spring 2013 collection. It is a gorgeous pastel baby blue. This polish applied like a dream! I had never tried zoya polishes before. Mainly because of their 8 dollar price tag! I like to keep my polish purchases to the 5 dollars or less side of things. But, Blu's formula sold me, and I may just be picking up a couple more polishes from Zoya in the near future to try! I liked this a lot!

This photo doesn't do this polish that I wore on my toes for May justice at all. I wish I had gotten a better photograph, but this is a cult favorite polish, so I am sure there's tons of swatches online if you are interested in a better look. This is China Glaze's Flip Flop Fantasy. It's a bright neon pinky-orange that is perfect for summer. This polish is matte, as most neons are, so you need a top coat if you are interested in that shiny look. I didn't think that was necessary on my toes, though, so I am wearing it matte and it makes me look soooo tan! It's a great bonus. I love this polish, especially for the toes, and I highly recommend it if you're in the market for a great summer pedi color!

The next color I wore on my fingernails is the sinful colors polish in timbleberry. It's a darker pink color that I really like a lot. My husband actually picked this polish out, and I did an emergency mani in the car, which is why the paint job is terrible, but the color is beautiful, the formula was great, and I have no complaints. You know how much I love sinful colors polishes if you have been reading my blog awhile, and this one is one of my faves!

Next up is a color that I think is great for summer! It's another wet n wild fast dry polish in the color 9.0.2.1. orange. It's a nice mid toned orange with a ton of cold shimmer running through it. It's not your average nail polish for sure, and I got quite a few compliments when I wore this one. I think this would be an awesome polish for the toes as well, at the beach! The formula on this was great Dried super fast and lasted for a good four days before it started to wear a bit around the tips of the nail. I was so impressed with the lasting power!

I saw a manicure on someone (and of course, I can't remember now who it was, sorry) on youtube, and it was a sort of turqoise green polish with a silver accent nail and decided to re-create it. I used the color Rise and shine from sinful colors on my main nails. Now this looks blue in the picture, and no matter what light I tried to photograph it in, it looked blue, but this polish is not blue. It's a sort of bright green with a lot of blue in it. It's a beautiful sort of st patrick's day shamrock green, if you get what I am saying. And it's a beautiful polish. It applied sort of sheer, but three coats got it opaque! And then for the accent nail I used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear polish in the color celeb city. It's just a really nice metallic silver. And then to add just a hint of something extra I used a silver glitter polish from shades of the seasons on top. I LOVED the way this turned out!

My memorial day nails are next. I decided to keep that same beautiful silver accent nail, and just spice up the other nails. The blue I used pn my pointer and pinkie fingers is an Elf polish called Dark Navy, and on top of that I used 2 coats of China Glaze's mosaic madness which is just a blue and black chunky glitter polish. I really wanted sparkle for this festive mani! The red I used is WEt n Wild Megalast in I red a good book, and I used a red shades of the season glitter polish on top for that bit of bling. I liked this a lot. It looks really sloppy in the photo, but it looked much better in real life. Elf's dark navy was a mini polish from a set that I got a while back, and it was a bit thick and hard to wrk with, but the rest of the polishes applied just dandy and the overall finished look was great!

Lastly I went for some super simple nail art. I applied A Julep polish in Dendrie as my base color. It's a beautiful cream formula dove grey color. And then I used a dotting tool that I got from amazon (a set of 5 dotting tools cost me about two dollars shipped) and did some fun polka dots in the color coral reef from sally hansen xtreme wear. The grey from julep applied nicely. There were a couple bubbles, but nothing unmanageable. I have found that in general, I am not crazy about Julep polishes. Their formula is really inconsistent. Sometimes you get an amazing polish, and other times it's thick and hard to work with. This was somewhere in between. I like this one pretty well. The color is fantastic. Coral reef is a gorgeous coral color that is just beautiful and applies wonderfully. I have yet to be disappointed with a sally hansen xtreme wear polish. This was just another hit!

So that is all of my polish picks for the month of May! Hope you all enjoyed this and maybe got some ideas for polishes to add to your collection! I will be back soon with more blog posts, and in the meantime, as I said above, be sure to check out my youtube channel! I would love to have you as a subscriber! I heart you guys all!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews